Step Into 2nd Grade
In second grade we encourage maturity, independence, and responsibility.
Reading & Writing
• Read with fluency and accuracy.
• Learn more sophisticated strategies to comprehend and analyze literature (e.g. ask clarifying questions, comparing two pieces of literature, using text features).
• Write compositions using increasingly correct English conventions.
• Write compositions with increasing length while paying attention to the organization and structure of their writing.
• Craft narrative, opinion, and informational writing.
• Develop initial skills of revising and editing.
• Learn to give and follow multiple-step directions and recount events with descriptive details and organization.
• Extend their understanding of place value (within 1,000)
• Build fluency in addition and subtraction (within 200)
• Make equal groups using arrays
• Measure the length of objects by using appropriate tools.
• Identify shapes and their attributes.
• Develop a beginning sense of history through the study of the family and people of the past.
• Learn about geography, communities, and beginning mapping skills
• Learn about U.S. governmental institutions, rules and laws, rights and responsibilities.
• Develop the concept of chronological thinking through timelines.
• Be introduced to economics and gain an appreciation of the many people who work to supply commonly used products.
• Observe a phenomena through observation, exploration, and activities
-Structure, Function, and Adaptations of Plants
-Properties and Phases of Matter
-Earth’s Surface and Processes